When the weather cools down, many people flock to Mesa to participate in the dozens of outdoor activities that are offered. From hiking to picnicking to sporting events, Mesa offers activities fit for the whole family.
- Usery Mountain Regional Park: This park offers over 29 miles of hiking trails and a nature center. The nearly two-mile ‘wind cave’ hike is popular for the whole family that ends in wind-carved hollow that is perfect for pictures, lunch, and observing the valley. (azcentral.com)
- Orange Patch Farmer’s Market: Celebrate local farmers and fresh produce by visiting this outdoor market. They are known for their citrus, but also sell sweet corn, watermelons, tomatoes, and other items depending on the season.
- Riverview: This area of Mesa is well-known for its shopping and large park. The park is every kid’s (and parent’s) dream. Splash pad, large climbing structures, zipline, picnic tables and playground will guarantee hours of fun. The nearby shopping plaza has a gym, spa, retail stores, restaurants, and a movie theatre.
- Salt River Tubing: Feeling adventurous? Grab a tube and head to the salt river. Float, play, and picnic in the water and surrounding area. The salt river has many events including a Fourth of July celebration and some ‘costume-themed’ river days. The river is open seasonally in the summer if the weather permits.
- Mesa Amphitheatre: This venue hosts many concerts and family friendly entertainment. All of the Amphitheatre is lawn-seats and has a capacity of just under 5,000 people. Some of the events are relatively inexpensive and make great date nights.
- Desert Belle Cruises: Float down Saguaro lake in a large tour boat! The two-level boat is equipped with a bathroom and snack bar and shows visitors local animals, plants, and geological formations along the saguaro lake. Also check out the dinner cruises dinner cruises and the land tours that desert belle offers.
- Hohokam Stadium: Check out a spring training game with the Athletic A’s at Hohokam stadium or jump over to Sloan Park to watch the Chicago Cub’s.
There are many outdoor activities in Mesa that are fun for the entire family. Be aware that most of these activities are available in the spring and early summer and will be closed some months of the year. Get outside and enjoy the attractions of Mesa, Arizona!